Monday, April 3, 2017

"I'm through accepting limits 'cause someone says they're so..."

Good day to those from any and all tribes of Israel,

        This week was jammed packed full of learning experiences and
introspection. Let us begin with exchanges.

        Last Monday through Wednesday morning, I had the privilege of
participating in exchanges with the Zone Leaders. I went into their
area with Elder Stone, and the learning began from the getgo. Elder
Stone knows what is up. He works hard, and I think I truly learned the
meaning of the phrase "talk with everyone" found in Preach My Gospel.
In finding, teaching, and lunch, Elder Stone sought to open his mouth
to proclaim the truth of the gospel to everyone. A little awkward
sometimes? Yes, absolutely. Heck, he talked to a woman in Jimmy John's
about the gospel and gave her a Book of Mormon. Notwithstanding any of
the awkward, such attempts to open his mouth led to finding several
new people who are interested in the gospel. The example of diligence
and obedience was awesome to see. It'll be a bit before I fully
internalize it for myself, but now I know what it looks like and I can
strive to be that way in the future.

        District meeting was on Wednesday, and it was awesome! We got to know
one another, and discussed ways that we can better teach by the Spirit
and follow promptings to do the Work. I have always enjoyed
interaction in district meetings, so that's the way we do them - with
lots of crowd interaction and camaraderie. This district, too, is
amazing. Seriously, I couldn't ask for anything better. The perfect
mix of consecrated and personal, excited and humble, diligence and
desire. These Elders and Sisters really tear it up. I think the
district put three people on date for baptism in the last week! (Shout
out to the YSA Elders for having two of those.) I'm so stoked about
this district and can't wait to work with them more. This transfer
doesn't have too much longer, though! So lame! I hope that it'll still
be as awesome after things get shuffled a bit. I know they will be -
I'll make sure I have a loving attitude and make it awesome.

        The Kambale family is doing splendidly! We were able to help them
watch three sessions of Conference (from last October) in their native
language of Swahili, and they very much enjoyed it! Joel,
specifically, retained quite a bit from what he saw, and we're just so
excited for them. Interviews on Tuesday. Their baptism is set for
Saturday at one o'clock. It has been so long since I've seen one of
those that it doesn't seem real. Gah, so amped for that!

        There is a cute place around town called Big Dipper Ice Cream. It is
super good. Expensive, sure, but super good. Which brings me to my
next point: An eating plan. Elder Ray and I have decided to institute
a plan for eating healthier. Sure, this includes things such as
limiting eating out to once a week and adding fruit to our diets and
having salads for lunch, but one of my most favorite parts of this
plan is our Tuesday night reward plan: Tuesday nights is designated as
Big Dipper night. Worth it for the ice cream.

        General Conference was superb, per usual. It's hit me a lot more
since being a missionary. I'll share one of my many insights, and that
was from President Joy Jones. She commented that being able to resist
temptation and use repentance - and teaching these important things to
our children - comes in four steps. First, we must recognize the
importance of resisting sin and repenting when we mess up. Second, we
must understand the doctrine. An understanding of the doctrine of
Christ and the reality of His atonement puts repentance in its proper
light as a joyous way to help us become clean and better ourselves.
Third, we must practice personal daily discipleship. Each day requires
new courage and new strength to face the trials of our day, and
remembering the basic things like scripture study, charity, Sabbath
observance, family home evening, and giving service helps us to keep
our focus on what is important, and keeps us anxiously engaged in a
good cause. Remember that it isn't enough to merely not do bad, we
must actively seek to do good. Finally, fourth, she stressed the
importance of integrity in daily life and in making and keeping sacred
covenants with the Lord. Such covenants are promises that we will
strive to be our best each day, and to follow our Savior, and when we
are loyal to those covenants, when we have the moral integrity to
follow what we know to be true and right, we are blessed with the
Lord's promise of showers of blessings upon us in return.

        I love conference, when we are able to hear the words of the Lord
through His duly ordained servants. This gospel is true, ladies and
gentlemen. God is at the helm. We have no need to fear.

        Thank you for your continued love and support. Rock and roll ~

-Elder Burch π

        "... Some things I cannot change, but 'til I try, I'll never know."

Lunch at Hoagieville with Elders
Ray, Stone and Ison

The Kambale Family!
Look at them mimicking my 'rock n roll' hands!

Praise Kambale. Her name is Praise.
How cool is that?

Stop. Hammer Time!

My General Conference Facebook Post



No comments:

Post a Comment