Monday, June 11, 2018

“...I will follow you into the dark.”

You only get five more weekly emails from me after this point. That’s kinda sad, don’t you think? The last one will probably hardly be an email at all, just pictures commemorating all the time in glorious Montana and Wyoming. Oh, yeah, transfers. You probably want to know about that.

I won’t tell you.

Just kidding. I can’t not give you my address. I like mail too much. The assistants to the president called Sunday morning to give us all the inside scoop on who is going where and with whom they are going to be. Elder Ash will be taking my spot as Zone Leader here in the great land of Powell, Wyoming. I’m going to miss this place. There are a lot of people here who have made a major impact on me, for which I will be eternally grateful. Also, Elder Craig has been a great companion, and I am grateful for the things he has taught me, specifically involving how to talk with people more, and more effectively. So, thank you Elder Craig for this transfer. Enjoy the next one with my old counterpart, the Ashman. 

My new address will be:
820 4th Street #405 
Havre, MT 59501

Don’t know where Havre is? Don’t worry; most people don’t. It’s about two hours northeast of Great Falls. I will not, however, be in the same zone as I was when I was in Great Falls. I’ll actually be in the Great Falls East Zone. Technicalities. And, chances are I’ll only see the light (?) of the city of Great Falls maybe twice in my whole stay there. When you get banished on the mission, you are super banished.

But I’m not banished without good company! Or, I don’t think so. My new companion will be Elder Taylor from North Carolina. He hasn’t been out too long and seems like a really swell person from what I have been told. Here’s to the adventure!
_______

This week was quite good. On Tuesday, it was a nice, warm day, so we elected to have our companionship study at a park in town. After doing companionship study, and Elder Craig helping me to learn how to better help other missionaries that might be struggling, we felt like we should hang out at the park for a little bit. So, we started kicking around a soccer ball, and talked to a few people that walked by here and there, but not much. Before too long, this eighteen year old boy joins us and starts kicking the ball around. We get to talking, and it turns out that he actually grew up in a member home, not been baptized, but things went sour there and he ended up here in Powell. He still holds many of the same morals, and has a belief in God and said he’d like to learn more! We invited him to the Ultimate Frisbee activity with the YSA and Elders Quorums, and he came! Looking forward to more from that. 

Miracle 2: We were pulling into the church to have a new-member lesson with Kaili Sondrup, the YSA (well, not anymore - marriage) member that was baptized my first week in Powell. As we pull up, we notice this girl sitting in one of the trees on the church yard, and she looks like she was having not a great day. As we sit down with Kaili for the lesson, the girl in the tree came to mind again, so we asked Kaili if she could go see if the girl was okay. Kaili, being the most friendly and excited person I have ever met (there is no exaggeration there) leaves, and twenty minutes later comes back with this girl in tow. We visit with her, and end up teaching the first discussion to her! She is young women’s age, and her name is Sonya. After the lesson, she expressed that it made her feel better, and she took a Book of Mormon, a Restoration pamphlet, and a For The Strength Of Youth. Later that night, she made a post on Facebook (picture below) that made us so excited! Sonya is awesome. Kaili has been wonderful at being a fellowshipper, and helped her get to both a YSA activity (even though Sonya is a little young for the YSA) and to church for 2nd Ward. There, Kaili and her husband Logan gave talks, and after sacrament, the Young Women welcomed Sonya right in. I’m sure it was a little overwhelming (Mormons can do that sometimes), but she said that she felt good. I’m so excited for Sonya and to see where she goes! 

Last miracle: Cancelled lessons lead to finding two new investigators. How about that? We talked with a really nice lady, then met a Seventh Day Adventist that shared with us some of her faith building experiences and invited us back to teach her, and then met a nice YSA aged gentleman that was excited to go to family home evening with the YSA. Here’s to hoping!

This all reminds me of the scripture in Moroni Chapter 7, verses 35 and 37, which read:

“... Has the day of miracles ceased? ... Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain.”

Today is a day of miracles. Or, it can be if we have faith. If you don’t see miracles in your life, I would exhort you to turn to God and spend a little more time doing the things that He has asked of us. Doing so will increase our faith, and faith is the means by which God can work miracles among the children of men. 

Thank you for all you guys have done in supporting me on the mission and helping me to do my best. Hurrah for Israel!

Oh, and rock and roll ~

-Elder Stephen Burch π







My New Area

Determined bike thieves are determined

Sonya’s Facebook post



No comments:

Post a Comment