Monday, July 3, 2017

"Dancing in the limelight, the universal green..."


Greetings to all,

This week was cool! I have recently felt a little down because I feel
like Elder Ash and I work hard, but we never seem to get any
investigators or see much progress. When the rest of the district is
flourishing, putting up big numbers, and seeing a lot of success, my
own area is kind of depressing, especially since the district leader
area is supposed to be an example of sorts. But, we found one - count
it: one! - new investigator this week, and he came to church! We're so
excited.

His name is Wade, and he has had a lot of struggles, but has kept his
optimism present. We are probably meeting with him tomorrow, and we
will be sharing the third lesson: The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Pray for
Wade! He's a cool dude.

We gave service at the bishop's storehouse, which was fun but also
hard. Lots of large things to move. Worth it.

If there is one thing I have felt this week, it is that the Lord
loveth His children. In the most recent general conference, President
Eyring shares an experience rom when he was a bishop, and a recent
member of his ward had crashed his car through the glass windows of a
bank. As the security guards approached, weapons drawn, this man cried
out, "Don't shoot! I'm a Mormon!" Eyring recounts the rest of the
story:

"The inebriated driver was discovered to be a member of my ward,
baptized only recently. As I waited to speak to him in the bishop’s
office, I planned what I would say to make him feel remorseful for the
way he had broken his covenants and embarrassed the Church. But as I
sat looking at him, I heard a voice in my mind say, just as clearly as
if someone were speaking to me, “I’m going to let you see him as I see
him.” And then, for a brief moment, his whole appearance changed to
me. I saw not a dazed young man but a bright, noble son of God. I
suddenly felt the Lord’s love for him. That vision changed our
conversation. It also changed me."

Sometimes, people are jerks. They treat missionaries like we aren't
people, like we're wasting our time, like we are ignorant, or
brainwashed, or bigoted, or annoying, or any other manner of trash.
And, when I meet people like that, I sometimes play a line from Taylor
Swift's "Mean" in my head, trying to make myself feel better by
saying, "Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me, and all
you're ever gonna be is mean." But, I feel better when I stop, think
about them, sympathize with whatever may be going on in their life,
and remember that it isn't about me - it's about them, because they
are children of God, too. Children of God with infinite potential and
infinite worth. Christ died for them just as much as He died for me,
and God loves them without end.

Thank you for all that you do. Keep being awesome! Coming up on a year
now... Good times.

Rock and roll ~

-Elder Burch π
So proud of this one

94 degrees Fahrenheit! That's crazy!

Biking!

Matchers

Normal,
Normal,
Sad,
and... Missoula. "Act like a Missoulian!"
"So, you want me to act totally stoned?"



District Fun!













No comments:

Post a Comment